DRAPEAU, Pierre “Peter” Levi and Philomene Marion Gervais Drapeau
So many of these family entries start with where the paternal side originated that it is a real treat to follow the maternal side of things. This is the case here; we are writing about the life of Philomene Marion and her marriages.
The Marion family lived at the LaPasse end of the Bromley Line in Westmeath Township. Cyriac Marion (1816 –189) and Olive Labrosse (1825 – ) had moved there from Calumet Island, Pontiac, Lower Canada. The men of the family all went into the north of Ontario to mines or other industries to find work.
One daughter Philomene Marion (1850-1934) stayed in Westmeath and married (1) Theophile Gervais, started a family in LaPasse and was widowed in 1880. Theophile was the son of Cyrille Gervais & Veronique Sabourin. Their descendants are profiled on the GERVAIS entry.
The children of Philomene Marion and (1) Theophile Gervais (1843–1880) are:
1. Cyrille Gervais (1870–1938)
2. Marie Esther Gervais (1872–1956)
3. Francois Gervais (1874 –
4. Theophile Gervais (1875 –
5. Felix Gervais (1879 –
6. Philomene “Mina” Gervais (1881 – 1978) m. Alfred “Fred” Laderoute (1883-1956), son of Alexandre Laderoute & Amanda St. Denis, on 03-02-1904 at LaPasse Church. Buried In Westmeath. See LADEROUTE entry.
– After Theophile’s death in 1880, Philomene Marion Gervais then married (2) Pierre “Peter” Levi Drapeau (1845-1934) in 1883 and they went on to raise a large blended family of Gervais and Drapeau children. They would be together for 51 years and they died within five weeks of each other in 1934. Drapeau,PhilomeneMarion1934. They and many of their descendants are buried at Mt. Carmel Cemetery, LaPasse, Ont. The children of Philomene and Peter are:
7. Rosalie “Rose” Drapeau (1885– )
8. Adele Drapeau (1887 – 1982)
9. Moise J. Drapeau (1891 – 1981) m. Maria Gratton (1896- 1963) in June 1917, at LaPasse. See GRATTON entry.
10. Fred Drapeau (1893 – 1969)
Family Photos are courtesy of Michael Vincent Ouellette, great- grandson of Peter and Philomene Drapeau, and grandson of Rose Drapeau Amyotte.
Pierre “Peter” Levi Drapeau was born in 1845 in Rimouski, Quebec. Unknown when he first came to Westmeath Township. Pierre’s list of purchases from Fraser&Paterson Store, Westmeath, 1899. Drapeau, Pierre, Shopping List
In the 1891 Census for Westmeath Township there are two young Leavens brothers in the household with the Drapeau couple and their children:
In the 1896 Voter’s List for the Municipality of Westmeath Township, Peter Drapeau is listed as the owner and farmer on Lot 4, Concession EFC (East Front C) – land running up from the Ottawa River frontage at what is now the Village of LaPasse.
In the 1901 Census for Westmeath Township, the youngest is 8-year-old Freddie. 1901 Census.
The children of Peter and Philomene Drapeau are:
1. Rosalie “Rose” Drapeau (1885–1980) m. Adelard Amyotte, son of Louise Amyotte & Emelie Laverdure on 16-06-1908 at LaPasse Church. Rose lived to age 95 and Louis Dollard Amyotte died November 15, 1974 at the age of 95. Their Great-Grandson Michael Vincent Ouellette remembers:
“I met them on their property when I was 6. Rose helped take care of the Catholic church in Bonfield, Ontario, for a number of years. They lived in Bonfield on the Trunk Road not far from the trout steam with their son, my uncle, Donna his wife and their child. We used to visit them sometimes on Sundays to play cards or sing or look at photos.”
“And here is a picture of their 50th wedding anniversary taken on their 100 acre property in Bonfield. The second photo is taken during the fall of the same year of pigs being dressed (slaughtered) for their 50th anniversary celebration. They were married on the 16th of June 1908 according to my grandmother Jeanne Foisy (nee Amyotte), their daughter. Jeanne married Desire Foisy, the son of Salomon Foisy and Maria Landry. Jeanne had 4 sisters and 3 brothers I think. One of the sisters became a Catholic nun. Jeanne and Desire were married on the 4th of November 1933 at St Phillomene’s Church in Bonfield, Ontario, where they raised 12 children.”
“My grandmother Jeanne Foisy (nee Amyotte) gave me these pictures in North Bay in 1999. She died at the age of 94 in 2006. Her husband, Desire, died in 1992. I was at their 50th wedding anniversary held in their old age home in North Bay. She told me she had had the part time job of leading the horse which pulled the LaPasse Ferry.”
“My Grandfather Desire Foisy married Jeanne Amyotte, daughter of Adelard and Rose Drapeau. My Great-Grandfather Solomon Foisy married Maria Landry in Bonfield’s St, Bernadette Church. Maria was the daughter of Marcel Landry and Elizabeth Poliquin of Montebello Quebec; the family lineage going back to Samuel de Champlain and Jean Nicolas.
“My father’s mom was Melina St- Pierre maried to Henri Ouellette First Nation/ Metis lineage on both sides of our families of 12 generations. ”
“In 1876 Jean Baptiste Foisy married Maria Amyotte and lived on Allumette Island, in the Ottawa River opposite Westmeath Township.”
2. Adele Drapeau (1887 – 1982) m. Forest Foisy (1888-1984), son of Joseph Foisy & Julie Archambault, on 06-01-1913, at LaPasse RC Church.
The children of Moise and Maria Drapeau are:
i. Vianny Drapeau ( 1918-1970) died at La Sarre, Abitibi, Québec, Canada.
ii. France Drapeau (1920-1978)
iii. Genevieve Drapeau (1921-1953) died at age 32 and is buried at LaPasse.
iv. Joseph Drapeau (1922-1985)
v. Gerard Drapeau (1926-1976) died at Irquois Falls, On.
vi. Denis Martin Drapeau (1928-1986)
vii. Guy C. Drapeau (1929- 1980) m. Isobel Ethier (1933-2013) DrapeauGuy-Isobel-Ethier
viii. Jude Roderique Drapeau (1933-2004) m. Diane Jeanne Cadrin (1937- ). Jude was employed within the Canadian Forest Industry living and working in Northern Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. He and Diane had 6 children. Material for Jude’s family has been submitted by his daughter Christine Drapeau. Jude Drapeau (1933-2004). Drapeau Family pictures submitted by Christine Drapeau.
ix. Helen M. Drapeau (1934-1978) m. James P. Gervais (1928- )
x. Marie Theresa Drapeau m. Robert Thomas Graham, son of Robert Graham & Delia Steep on 12-12-1944, at LaPasse RC Church.
xi. Vincent Drapeau, born about 1939.
4. Alfred “Fred” Drapeau (1894 -1969) served in World War One. Drapeau, Alfred. His service is commemorated on his parent’s stone at LaPasse Mount Carmel Cemetery.