GRATTON, Eustache and Henriette Laverdure,
Eustache Gratton (1829-1898) was born in Terrebonne PQ, now a suburb of Montreal, the son of Eustache Joseph Gratton and Sophie Boisvert. This young bachelor came to Westmeath Township in the mid-1800’s with hopes of steady work and land ownership. He would settle and stay for the rest of his days. He married Henriette Laverdure (1838- ) on 13th January, 1857, in LaPasse. She was the daughter of Francois Laverdure and Sophie Dupuis.
In Nov. 1898 Eustache died at age 68 with his son-in-law Joseph Leblanc reporting the death by “gravel“, a disease characterised by small stones which are formed in the kidneys. 1898 Eustache GrattonDeath Reg.
A Gratton Family Genealogy in French has been submitted by Aurele Gratton: La Famille Gratton. It contains earlier Gratton generations and greater details. Plus Maurice Gratton has generously translated the portion of the 7th to 11th generations into English; understanding that those later generations had more and more lost French as their first language. English version Gratton family (3).
This venerable family is well researched and traces its roots back to CLAUDE-JACQUES GRATON, Sieur de Villefort, born about 1630 in Aubigny, Laroche sur Yon,Vendée France, (son of Pierre Graton and Marie Boucher). His grandparents were Joseph Graton and Mathurine Gaigneur. He emigrated to Canada in 1668 with his wife MARGUERITE MONCION and his two daughters, Renée and Hélene. He died in Beauport on the 3rd of August, 1683. His son, the ancestor of all the Grattons in Canada, JOSEPH was born in Beauport, near Quebec City.
The family had been playing its part of the building of New France since the mid-17th Century, and by the time Eustache Gratton and Henriette Laverdure married at LaPasse, nearly two hundred years had passed.
The children of Eustache and Henriette are:
1. Albina Gratton (1858- 1913) m. Joseph Toussaint Leblanc (1860-1923) on 15 August, 1882 in LaPasse. He was the son of Théophile Leblanc et Henriette Belanger. See LABLANC entry.
2. Alexander Gratton (1861- )
3. Eustache Gratton (1862- 1945) m. (1) Marguerite “Maggie” Marleau (1862-1926) in LaPasse. She was the daughter of Pierre Marleau and Marie Duquette.
In the 1901 Census for Westmeath Township, the young family is shown as:
Grattan Eustache M Head M Jun 3 1862 38
Grattan Maggie F Wife M Jun 12 1862 38
Grattan Treses M Son S Dec 7 1888 12
Grattan Marion F Daughter S Jul 4 1886 14
Grattan Caspard M Son S Aug 3 1899 1
The family would grow to seven children:
i. Treses Gratton (1888- )
ii. Marion Gratton (1886- )
iii. Henri Gratton (1891- 1956) m. Amanda-Maude Desjardins (1897- 1965) on 15 Oct.1924 in Maniwaki, PQ., daughter of Benjamin Desjardins and Jeanne Payette. They had five children.
iv. Maria Gratton (1896- 1963) m. Moise Drapeau (1892-1981) in June 1917, at LaPasse, son of Pierre Drapeau and Philomene Marion. They had eleven children brought together in a blended family. See DRAPEAU entry.
v. Gaspard Gratton (1899-1945) m. Adeline D. Gervais (1904- 1998) 28 Jun 1927 in LaPasse, Ont. See GERVAIS entry. Adeline was the daughter of Cyril Gervais and Auxille Laderoute. Caspard was born in Kapuskasing, Ont. and they are buried at LaPasse Cemetery. 1927-Adeline&Gaspard-Marriage. June 1927 Wedding Announcement.
The children of Gaspard & Adeline Gratton are:
a. Aurele Gervais Gratton, (1928- ) in Rouyn Que., m. Marie-Flore Ricard (1927- ) in 1949 in Dalembert, PQ. She was the daughter of Ulric Ricard and Maria Chainé of Macamic, PQ. They have 5 children.
b. Francis Gratton (1929-1936), born in Rouyn, died in LaPasse aged seven.
c. Roger Eustache Gratton (1933-2004) born in LaPasse, m. Raymonde Ouimet(1942- ) in 1959 at Riviere Heva, daughter of Joseph Ouimet and Ida CoutureThey had 3 children.
d. Gilles Cyrille Gratton (1933- ) born at LaPasse m. Emilienne Gosselin (1942- ) on 1 Sept.1962 in Cadillac, Qc, daughter of Napoleon Gosselin and Marie-Jeanne Larouche. They have 2 children.
e. Maurice Alfred Gratton (1937- ), born in LaPasse, m. (1) Ginette Lehouillier , (1946 – ), daughter of Cébald Lehouillier and Carmen Paquette on the 29 July,1967 in Montreal. They have 3 children. Maurice Gratton remarried to (2) Monique Poirier (1947- ) on 30 June, 2001 in Hull, Qc.
f. Denise Gratton (1940- ) born at LaPasse, m. (1) Edmond Lamarche (1934- ) in 1960 in Noranda Qc., son of Paul-Auguste Lamarche and Edouige Bonhomme. They had 3 children. Denise divorced and remarried to (2) Robert Rice on the 10 Aug,1991.
g. Lorraine Gratton (1942-2003), born at LaPasse, m. (1) Theodore Desrosiers in 1962 in Noranda, Qc. son of Theodore Desrosiers and Dolly Morgan. They had 2 children. Lorraine divorced and remarried to (2) Donald Hosking on the 14 Aug, 1976. Lorraine died in North Bay on 6 Feb 2003 and Donald died on November 14, 2014.
Eustache remarried in Sept. of 1927 to (2) Joséphine Lacroix Labine (1864 -1956) in September 1927. No children in second marriage.
4. Mary Jane Gratton (1865-1900) m. Napoleon Couturier (1862-1900) on 5 Oct.,1885 in LaPasse. Napoleon was the son of Joseph Couturier et Luce Laliberté.
5. Margaret Gratton (1867-
6. Théophile Gratton (1868- 1953) m. Philomene Lacroix (1866-1947) in 1895 in LaPasse. She was the daughter of Louis Lacroix et Elizabeth Clermont. See LACROIX entry. They settled on the 7th Concession of Westmeath Township and had 2 children. Daughter Josephine Gratton married George Amyotte and they farmed the Gratton homestead on Pleasant Valley Road. 1977 Josephine Gratton & George Amyotte.
Theophile Gratton was a determined driver of the early automobile – known for his never looking behind when backing up, saying; “I just wait for the big bang”. These were the days when cars had real bumpers. There was an incline up and out of their farmyard onto the road. Theophile would rev up and take the hill at full speed. It worked well until the day that Harold Timm, (his neighbour), was driving past the Gratton driveway just as Theophile sped out!!
7. Louise Gratton (1870- ) m. Napoleon Couturier and raised their family in Westmeath Township. They were: Angeline Couturier; Marie-Vienna Couturier; Rose Couturier; Telesphore Couturier.
8. Napoleon Gratton (1873-1957) was baptized in 1874 in LaPasse. Unmarried.
8. Henriette Gratton (1875- 1963) m. Adéllard Gervais (1875-1947) on 15 Nov.1905 in LaPasse. He was the son of Gilbert Gervais and Henriette Bertrand. See GERVAIS entry.
9. Hélene “Ellen” Gratton (1878-1929) m. Philomene Marleau. They had 4 children.
10. Mélinda Gratton (1881- ) m. Thomas Brooks on 1 Jan. 1901; son of James Brooks and Philomene Lanthier.