JOHNSON, J. Alvin and Elsie Griese Johnson
“Mr. Alvin Johnson, who had succeeded Ida Beach as a telegraph operator, moved his office into the Dunn Store where he also worked as a store clerk. Delahaye Brothers bought the store from Mr. Dunn, but in a couple of years it was sold again to W. G. Jones and then to Mr. Pimlott in 1919.In 1926, Alvin Johnson purchased the building and set up a dry goods and grocery store where local farm produce was bought and sold. The post office was also moved here.
In 1945, Alvin’s son Jack, and his wife Vera, purchased the store and Jack succeeded his father as post master in 1956. A new post office was built in 1964 and the store was sold to Gary and Sue Walton in 1970 who continued to operate it as The Lucky Dollar Store.”
More on Johnson Store.
In 1913, J.Alvin Johnson became the fourth postmaster for Beachburg. The post office was in his home until 1929 when he purchased the store of the Dunn brothers. This historic building was built as a Wesleyan Methodist Church until merged with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In time is became a Temperance Hall, the lodge of the Society of Friends and lastly a store with a dwelling on the second floor.
The Johnson family and the post office are closely inter-woven in Beachburg history. While Alvin Johnson was postmaster, his father John delivered mail by horse and buggy six days a week on R.R. #1. About a twenty mile run.
When WWII ended, young Jack Johnson returned home from navel service and with his wife Vera, operated the store and became postmaster when his father retired in 1956. In 1964 a new post office was built and Jack remained as postmaster until he retired in 1987.
Source: On the occasion of the 175 Anniversary of Beachburg an excellent book was produced: “Beachburg – A Rich Heritage, 1835-2010” The JOHNSON family’s submission of text and photographs to this commemorative book is used here. Information submitted by Alvin Anderson and written for the book by Grace Stephens.
Alvin’s grandfather Sam Johnson came originally from England.
His son John Johnson married Elsa Clippa in 1885. Their family of seven were: Harold, Alvin, Percy, Ethel, Annie, Hillard and Roy. Except for eldest Harold Johnson who married Fannie Simpson and later moved to Thessalon, the rest of the family married and settled in the area.
1. Alvin Johnson married Elsie Griese and Alvin became the postmaster in Beachburg for many years as well as operating Johnson’s Grocery Store. Their children were Nora, Jack, Phyllis and Jean.
Jack married Vera Wulff. He followed his father as store owner and post master in the village. Jack was active in the Masons, a charter member of the Beachburg Lions Club, school board member and village councillor. Vera was a Beachburg council clerk treasurer, member of the council as well as leader of the Girl Guides, Brownies, Majorettes, Figure skating. For many years she organized a extensive winter carnival which included designing costumes, choreographing and producing a complete figure skating review. Their children are Susa, Pam, Bud and Scott.
2. Percy Johnson married Ella Dougherty and they had seven children; Bernice, Jimmy, Gerald, Gwen and Glen (twins), Marion and Bob.
3. Ethel Johnson married Clifford Jackson and their children are Helen, Errol and Sherwood.
4. Annie Johnson married Horace Anderson and their children are Murray, Alvin and Elsie.
5. Hilliard Johnson married Jessie Johnson Johnson, Jessie . The had one daughter Elaine, her children being Bair, Rodney and Dara. Blair married Lynn Farnel and they reside in Beachburg.
6. Roy Johnson married Marguerite McLean and their children are Allan, Isobel, June and Patricia as listed in the McLean family history.