LAWLESS, Patrick and Rose O’Brien Lawless
Patrick and Rose O’Brien Lawless left Ireland and came to settle in the Pontiac area (Allumette Island, Que.) of Lower Canada in the mid-19th century, 1846 -1848. In that era of early settlement incoming homesteaders settled on both sides of the river valley. Trade and travel between Allumette Island of the Pontiac and the Westmeath Township shoreline was frequent and families often had relatives on both sides of the river.
Two of their children, a son Andrew – Irish born, and a daughter Bridget, born in Canada, would marry and settle in Westmeath Township. They would both marry children of JOSEPH-EMELIE(ELIE) VEZINA and MARY JANE HAMILTON. See VIZENA entry.
ANDREW LAWLESS, son of PATRICK LAWLESS and ROSE O’BRIEN, married EMILY JANE VIZENA, daughter of Elie and Mary Vezina. She was born 25 Jan 1854 in Westmeath Ont., and died 06 Oct 1944 is buried in LaPasse, Ont.. Andrew Lawless was born 1846 in Ireland, and died 19 Sep 1887 in Westmeath Twp. buried in LaPasse, Ont. They married 20 Feb 1873 in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, LaPasse, Ont.
Andrew is said to have looked after the horses from the lumber camps on his farm during the summer. This farm was Lot 4, Con. 3 on Bromley Line, Westmeath Twp.
In the Census of March 1901 for Westmeath Twp. Emily Lawless is head of household, place of Birth is Ont. Race is Irish, and religion is R.C. Her age is 44 yrs. (Did she lie about her age?) There are 2 other family members in household, Arthur G, age 20, and Rose M. age 15.
Children of and ANDREW LAWLESS and EMILY VIZENA are:
- TWINS LAWLESS ?, b. Jul 1873, Westmeath Twp.
- JOHN ANDREW LAWLESS, b. 27 Aug 1874, Westmeath Twp.; m. CLARINDA VIZENA, 25 Jun 1897, N-D, Ottawa, Ont. b. Abt. 1875, Westmeath Twp.
- ALEXANDER LAWLESS, b. 06 Mar 1877, Westmeath Twp.; m. JULIA JARVIS?, 25 Nov 1896, Westmeath Twp. Ont; b. Abt. 1880.
- ARTHUR GILBERT LAWLESS, b. 24 Jun 1879, Westmeath Twp. Ont. Canada; d. 1935, Young’s Point, Ont. (north of Lakefield Ont. ).
- LESLIE LOUISA LAWLESS, b. 23 Feb 1882, Westmeath Twp.; m. ROBERT RICHARDSON.
- SAMUEL HERBERT LAWLESS, b. 14 Apr 1884, Westmeath Twp. Ont. Canada; d. 14 Jan 1885, Westmeath Twp. Ont. Canada. Samuel Herbert was christened Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, LaPasse, on May 11, 1884
- MARY-ROSE LAWLESS, b. Jan 1886, Westmeath Twp. Ont. Canada; d. 1964. Mary-Rose was Baptized in LaPasse, Ont. Jan 31, 1886.
BRIDGET LAWLESS, daughter of PATRICK LAWLESS and ROSE O’BRIEN. She was born 1849 in Chapeau, Pontiac Co. Que., and died 15 Aug 1913 in buried in LaPasse, Ont . Bridget Lawless was Christened July 22, 1849, at St. Alphonsus, Allumette Island, Que. (Chapeau). She married SAMUAL VIZENA, born 05 Jun 1848 in Westmeath. Ont., and he died 07 May 1937 in LaPasse, Ont., also buried there. Samuel married (1) BRIDGET LAWLESS 22 Apr 1871 in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, at LaPasse, Ont. He married (2) SUSAN LIBBY (FOY) 15 Jun 1927 in Beachburg, Ont. Marriage blessed at LaPasse on this date. She was born 1864, and died 1944 in Buried in St. John’s Anglican Cemetery, Eganville.
Children of SAMUAL VIZENA and BRIDGET LAWLESS are:
- SAMUAL ELI JR., b. 16 Mar 1872, Westmeath Ont.; d. 03 Jan 1937, LaPasse, Ont.
- JOHN JOSEPH HUGHEY, b. 11 Aug 1873; d. Nov 1955, North Bay, Ont. St. Mary’s Cemetery, North Bay, Ont..
- BRIDGET ROSE, b. 17 Aug 1875; d. 07 Sep 1950. married JAMES MALLOY (JOHN) 26 Dec 1895 in LaPasse, Ont.,
- ROBERT HECTOR, b. 22 Jun 1877, Westmeath Ont.; d. 28 Aug 1959, at home, buried in OLOG Cemetery, Westmeath Ont..
- BENJAMIN ANDREW, b. 17 Apr 1880, Westmeath Ont.; d. 1963, Chapleau Ont.
- MARY-LOUISA, b. 04 Mar 1882, Westmeath Twp. m. EDWARD GALLAGHER, 19 Apr 1904, LaPasse, Ont. They lived in Arnprior Ont. Possible Edward was a policeman.
- ELLA-MAE, b. 23 May 1884; d. 28 Feb 1934.
- MARGARET HELENA (LENA) , b. 01 Jul 1886, Westmeath Ont. d. 1932, Westmeath, Ont. buried Westmeath Union Cemetery.
- VALERIA , b. 09 Jul 1888, Westmeath Ont.