MCCAGHERTY, Patrick & Eliza Edmunson
Patrick McCagherty (1812 – ) and Elizabeth “Eliza” Edmunson (1815 – 1871) were Irish “immigrant ancestors” skilled in the art of weaving so found a ready customer base in the emerging Westmeath Township settlements.
Their son Patrick McCagherty Jr., was born in 1845 in Ireland and came to Upper Canada with the family. He married Elizabeth Ann Bromley (1847 – ), daughter of William Bromley and Eliza Brownlee on the Bromley Line of Westmeath Township. See BROMLEY entry; also see BROWNLEE entry. The young couple Patrick and Anne would also have a farm on the same Concession No. 2.
In the 1901 Census for Westmeath Township, the McCagherty Household had the 5 children still in the home.
The children of Patrick and Anne were:
1. William E McCagherty (1869 – 1952) m. Emma Thompson in 1893, daughter of William and Sarah Thompson of Westmeath. 1893 Marriage Emma Thompson-McCagherty See THOMPSON entry.
2. James P McCagherty(1870 – 1958) m. Mary Ann McDonald (1871) in Pembroke, ON. where they would settle.
3. Joseph Thomas McCagherty (1871 –1947) m. Maude Lucinda Forbes (1888-1940), daughter of the village doctor in Beachburg. 1871 Joseph McCaughertyBirthReg. 1947 Death McCagherty, JosephThomas. See FORBES entry.
4. Robert E McCagherty (1876 – ) m. Sarah E. Nelson (1878-. They lived in Nipissing District.
5. George D McCagherty (1878 –
6. Eliza Mildred McCagherty (1880 – ) m. John Paterson (1876- ) who went into partnership with Alexander Fraser and operated the Fraser Paterson General Store in the Village of Westmeath. See PATERSON entry.
7. Arthur H McCagherty (1883 –
8. Annie Kate McCagherty (1887 – ) m. Frederick Cecil Leach (1887-1974) in 1917. 1917 Anne & Fred Marriage Reg. They would join the large migration of settlers moving into the western plains and settle in Dinsmore, Sask.
9. Welland Dickson McCagherty (1890 –1910)