MCLEESE, Daniel and Mary Jane Murphy; and Jane Davidson Dickson
At age 32 in 1860, Daniel McLeese (1828-1915) married (1) Mary Jane Murphy (1839-1874) in Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland. Daniel was the son of Daniel McLeese (1800-) and Margaret “Peggy” McGuigan (1810-1874). Like so many of their countrymen, they joined the Irish diaspora. They arrived in Canada in 1871 with two babies and some siblings of Daniel’s, including a younger brother William. Two other younger siblings emigrated to Michigan, USA.
The younger McLeese brother William Archie McLeese (1841-1897) came into the Upper Ottawa Valley, settling in Foresters Falls, Ross Township. That branch would contribute greatly to that community and would build both an early grist mill, (see www.rossmuseum.ca), and a general store which is still in use today. McLeese, Wm., FF Store.
William hired older brother Daniel to operate the McLeese farm initially, but soon Daniel moved on to greener pastures. Later in life after raising his family he would return to work on the McLeese farm. Fortunately in this excerpt “Uncle Dan McLeese“, from the book “Memories of Foresters Falls, by James McLaren McLeese, Dan’s personality is described in some detail. There is also a good description of his work “portaging” supplies into the lumber shanties in the winter.
It appears that Dan never owned his own farmstead – first working on his brother’s farm, then a hired farm manager, then living on Dickson land with his second wife and upon her death returning to his brother’s farm in Foresters Falls. He was very well respected in the farm community for his skill. Late in life he lived with his daughter Kate and son-in-law John McLaren.
Daniel and Mary Jane Murphy came to Beachburg in Westmeath Township with two baby daughters and this “immigrant ancestor” couple would have a large family of 8 daughters and one son. Two children (twins) were born in 1874; the year of Mary’s death. Mary Jane Murphy McLeese is buried in Beachburg Union Cemetery.
From Ancestry.ca: Daniel McLeese born 1830 and died 1915. He married Mary Jane Murphy at Ballymorny Northern Ireland March 16, 1860. They came to Canada and settled on Kerr Line for three years. This is where they started their family. Mary Jane died shortly after the twins Susie and Sarah were born in 1874. Daniel later married Mrs Jane Dickson and moved to Gore Line in Beachburg, Ontario, Canada. He and Jane had three children named Hattie (Mrs. William Jeffery), Christie (Mrs George Baird), and Robert who married Bertha Jackson.
The children of Daniel McLeese and Mary Jane Murphy are:
1.Margaret Jane McLeese b. 13 Feb 1861 Balleymoney, Antrim, Ireland, d. 14 Jan 1939, Beachburg, Ontario. She married William Henry Davidson, son of James Davidson and Sarah Grendle. See DAVIDSON entry. This was the first of two McLeese daughters marrying two Davidson brothers.
William Henry Davidson married Margaret Jane McLeese in 1877. Reverand William Christie was the first Presbyterian Minister to settle in Beachburg. Margaret was born in Northern Ireland and immigrated to Canada at the age of one year. From Ancestry.ca.
2. Mary McLeese, b. 2 Jan 1863, Balleymoney, Antrim Ire., died 1956 and is buried in Beachburg Cemetery. Davidson,MaryMcLeese. Mary married Thomas G. Davidson ( – 1922). See DAVIDSON entry. The second McLeese-Davidson marriage. They farmed in the Beachburg area.
Children of Thomas G. Davidson and Mary McLeese are:
i. ________Davidson m. William Cain , Ottawa
ii. Stewart Davidson, Beachburg
iii. Archie Davidson,
iv. Thomas H. Davidson, Fort Erie, ON.
v. Allen R. Davidson, Fort Erie, ON.
vi. Lowell J. Davidosn, Jellyby, ON.
vii. Daniel Davidson ( – 1907)
viii. Lloyd Davidson ( – 1939)
3. Elizabeth “Lizzie” McLeese b. 11 Oct. 1864, Beachburg, d. 1955 Salt Lake City, Utah USA. She married Stewart McLeese (1859-1930) from Crocknehorn, Antrim, Ireland and went out west to homestead. There are two children Stewart Russell McLeese (1896-1905), aged 9 and Robert Wellesley McLeese (1892-1903) aged 11 listed on a tombstone in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Utah – from Ancestry.ca.
4. Daniel McLeese b. 12 Aug 1866, Beachburg.
5. Katherine “Kittie” McLeese b. 26 June 1868, Beachburg, d. 1937 Ottawa.
6. Annie McLeese b. 21 Jan 1870 Beachburg to 1945 m. John H. Wilson (1865-1930) 1893John & Annie Marriage., and raised their 6 children in Pembroke. John was a lumberman from Portage du Fort, Quebec.
The children were: i. Jessie Bower Wilson (1895 – 1918); ii. Irene Elizabeth Wilson (1897 – 1990); iii. John ‘Harvey’ Wilson (1899 – 1953); iv. Annie ‘Murial’ Wilson (1901 – ); v. William Lorne Wilson (1904 – ); vi. Gerald Reginald ‘Reg’ Wilson (1910 – 1997)
7. Rose McLeese b. 23 Feb. 1873, Beachburg, d. Wayne Detroit Mich. USA.
8. Sarah McLeese b. 24 Jan. 1874, Beachburg, d. Salt Lake City, Utah USA. Sarah and Susie were twins.
9. Susie McLeese b. 24 Jan. 1874, Beachburg.
Daniel McLeese married for a second time in 1878 to (2) Sarah Jane Davidson Dickson and settled on the Gore Line of Westmeath Township. This was also Jane’s second marriage also; her first husband Thomas Dickson (1844-1882) having died young. See DICKSON entry.
The farm on which Jane and Daniel McLeese settled, fronting onto the Gore Line west of LaPasse, had been a Dickson property: Lot E part 1 Concession 4 CLF (Coulonge Lake Front).
Daniel McLeese and second wife Jane Dickson had three children:
10. Harriett “Hettie” A. McLeese (1879-1954) m. William Jeffrey (1879-1954) in 1896 in Carleton Place, Ont. See JEFFREY entry.
11. Christina “Christie” McLeese (1887-1936) m. George Baird (1876-1926), son of William Baird, died in Carleton Place of diabetes at 47 years of age. For unknown reason the writer of her death notice records her name as “McLeish”. 1936 Christina Death. Their children: James Elmer Baird – occupation miner m. Laura Winifred Giles; Robert Harvey Baird (1905-1990) m. Inza Francis Bole, daughter of Thomas Bole and Mary Comba.- buried at Carleton Place.
12. Robert “Bobby” McLeese (1888-1971) McLeese, Robert married Bertha Jane Jackson in 1918. See JACKSON entry. They assumed the home farm on the north end of the Gore Line in Westmeath Twp. They had two sons: John Earl McLeese (1920-1973) McLeese Earl m. Shirley Ellen McBride, daughter of Arndell and Ellie McBride; William James Stewart McLeese (1919-1985) m. Florence Phyllis Davies, daughter of Henry Davies and Clara Davidson. Dougherty McLeese Accident 1949
Pictures from Ancestry UK