POUPORE, Andrew Alexander and Cynthia Gilmore Poupore
The POUPART Family of Quebec headed by Constant Poupart (1754-1835) and Marie Louise Asselin (1786-1813) was large – 12 children in all – then after Marie Louise’s death Constant would go on to have three more wives. One of the children of this big family, came into Canada West. Within this family, some members went by the surname Poupart and some used Poupore. Members spread across North America; some settling in North Dakota, Michigan, New York State and elsewhere. A large family of many branches.
We will focus on the branch that came to Westmeath Township, Ontario. The pictures are courtesy of Gail Hennessy Ethier, a direct descendent; granddaughter of Harve & Caro Poupore and daughter of Frances Poupore Hennessy.
Edward Andrew Poupore had been born in 1817 in La Prairie, Quebec and married Elizabeth Brown in Prescott County when he was 42 years of age. Edward Poupore and Elizabeth Brown’s children were:
- Gary Poupore (1855- )
- Andrew Alexander Poupore (1859-1935) Poupore, Andrew A. m. Cynthia Gilmore
- Alexander Poupore (1861- )
- Theresa A. Poupore (1863- )
- Barbara M. Poupore (1865- )
- James Richmond Poupore (1879- )
- Mable Poupore (1900- )
The second son of that union, Andrew Alexander Poupore, had been born in Edwardsburg, near Cardinal, Ont. and had married Cynthia Gilmore on June 14, 1881 in Leeds & Grenville County. He would die in Parry Sound, Ontario in 1935.
The couple bought a storied Westmeath Township property on the shoreline of the Ottawa River on the south shore of Coulonge Lake. This property had served as the farmstead for the Hudson Bay Company during its years of operating a trading post and farm on that section of the river. To read more: Hudson Bay Co. Farm.
“When Mr. Poupore and family moved off the farm, it became the property of the late John and William Anderson. Their brother Peter Anderson is now the owner. Mr. Patrick Malloy lived there at one time, and moved to North Dakota.” – from W.I. Tweedsmuir Book
Andrew Alexander Poupore (1858-1935) m. Cynthia Gilmore (1859-1934) came to Westmeath Township and their children were:
1. Harvey James Poupore (1882-1961), died at age 79 in Westmeath Township, Ont. Harvey married Caro Adams and settled on the homestead on Malloy Bay, Coulonge Lake.
Harvey and Caro Poupore had three children:
i. Archie Poupore (1906-2000) m. Joyce___, He served in the Canadian Forces in WWII and then lived in Sault Ste. Marie, ON.
ii. Frances Margaret Poupore (1908-1994) m. Charles Edmond Hennessey of Westmeath Township. See HENNESSY entry.
iii. Bea Poupore (1914-2000) m. Harry Ross Dennes (1914-2000) both died at age 86 years. They lived in Sudbury, ON.
2. Burton Leonard Poupore (1883-1936), died at age 52 in Armstrong Township, Ont. Poupore, Burton
3. Caro Jane Poupore (1885- ) m. James McMullen and died at age 86 in Westmeath. She was active in various groups and worked on preserving the history of the area in the Westmeath Woman’s Institute Tweedsmuir Book. Her niece Francis Poupore Hennessey also worked tirelessly on the Tweedsmuir Book. McMullen,Caro Poupore. See MCMULLEN entry.
4. George Howard Poupore (1886- ) m. (1) Ena O’Hara who taught at the LaPasse Public School. He later married (2) Mary Ethel Robinson at age 38 in 1925. She was the daughter of James Robinson and Margaret McLaughin of Perretton, Westmeath Township. Ethel died in childbirth.
5. Fostie May Poupore (1892-1951) m. Allen Thomas in New Liskeard, Ont. and died there at age 59.
6. Stanley Earl Poupore (1894-1969) m. Gertrude Essie Gibbons and lived in Earlton, Ont. He died at age 75 yrs.
7. (Andrew) Lloyd Poupore (1895-1914) – died at age 19 yrs.in the Temiskaming District.
A second large French Canadian Poupore Family settled across the Ottawa River in Pontiac County, Quebec, on Allumette Island. This family was headed by William Poupore (1821-1910) and his wife Susan McAdam (1824- ). They had seven children in all and one son DANIEL EDWARD POUPORE (1891-1970) in Chapeau, Allumette Island, Pontiac County, Quebec m. CATHERINE BRIDGET MALLOY, of Westmeath.