PRIMEAU, Louis and Marguerite Dechelles
As early as 1686 and 1710 Primeau families were settled in Nova Scotia as part of the French Acadian Colony . After the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht, some Acadians Colonists in the new British Colony, (after Nova Scotia had been ceded to Britain in the Treaty), refused to swear allegiance to the British Crown and were amongst those that were deported. The Primeau name appears today on the Arcadian Commemorative Wall in the City of Martinville, Louisianna, USA.
Of those who did stay in Canada, many Primeaus played pivotal roles in the early colony, such as the Louis Primeau who worked as a trader in the western provinces and became well known and influential as an interpreter because of his knowledge of Indian languages and society.
Not so much is known about his namesake; our Louis Primeau who first came to Westmeath.
Louis Primeau (1824- ) m. (1) Marguerite Dechelles (1826 – 1875) from St. Martine, Quebec married in 1837. They and all their children were born in Quebec.
Louis Primeau would remarry after Marguerite’s death to (2) Marie Zoe Baron (dit Labrosse), in 1875, widow of Joseph Brisson (1844-1875) from Fort Coulonge across the Ottawa River from LaPasse where they were married. She was 20 yrs. his junior and they had one daughter Marceline Primeau.
The whole family of Louis and Marguerite is listed in the 1861 Census for Chateauguay, Canada East, now a suburb of Montreal. Unknown exact date between 1861 and 1871 when they moved from Quebec to Westmeath Township.
The Primeau’s had settled on some of the most prime riverfront lots on Coulonge Lake’s south shore with the white sands of Nangor and White’s beaches now well known to current summer vacationers. They were settlers along the “Lost Road“.
In the 1881 Census Louis Primeau Sr. (written as Premoe), had living with him his daughter-in-law Mary Burke Primeau, (wife of Louis Jr.) and his grandchildren. Is Louis Jr. away working perhaps?
The children of Louis Primeau and Marguerite Dechelles were:
1. Louis Primeau (1839- ) m. Marie Burke (1846- ) in 1864, the daughter of George Thomas Burke (1803- ) and Maria Esther Hudson (1815-1893) also an Acadian French family, then living on the Bromley Line of Westmeath Township.
Their children are listed in the 1891 Census for Westmeath Township:
Louis Primeau, 50
Mary Primeau, 45
Louis G Primeau, 25
Rose Delphine Primeau, 21
Justine Primeau, 19
Melvina Primeau, 18
Peter Primeau, 16
Joseph Primeau, 14
Mary Primeau, 12
Ephraim Primeau, 9
The children and grandchildren of Louis Primeau and Mary Burke:
i. Louis G Primeau (1866 –
ii. Delphine Primeau (1869 – 1936) m. Joseph A. St. Louis (1863 – 1943), son of Hyacinthe St. Louis and Scholastique Martel on 13 November 1893.
The children of Joseph and Delphine are:
1. Mark St Louis (1895 –
2. Harriette St. Louis (1899 – 1924)
3. Louis St Louis (1902 –
4. Cecilia Caroline St Louis (1904 – 1939)
5. Hector St Louis (1907 –
iii. Justine Primeau (1871 –
iv. Joseph Emilien Napoleon Primeau (1873 – ) m. Philomeme Brooks (1888- ), daughter of James Brooks and Philomene Lanthier on 26 November 1908 at LaPasse. 1908 Jospeh & Philomene Marriage
v. Peter Primeau (1875 –
vi. Marie “Mary” Marguerite Primeau (1876 – ) m. Edouard “Edward” Lafreniere (1864- ), the son of a neighbouring farm family – Edward was son of Edward Lafreniere and Bridget Hennessy, 1896 Marie Marguerite & Edward Marriage, See HENNESSY entry. They raised:
1. Bridget Lafreniere (1898 –
2. Edward Lafreniere (1902 –
3. John George Lafreniere (1905 –
vii. Ephraim Primeau (1882 – ) m. Agnes Mabel Pappin (1889- ) in 1911 in LaPasse; daughter of Narcisse Pappin and Emilie St. Louis. 1911 Ephraim & Agnes Marriage
1. Austin Primeau
2. Evelyn Primeau
3. Maria Primeau
4. Russell Primeau m. Emma Dupuis, daughter of Joseph Dupuis and Irene Robert on January 21, 1947.
viii. Thomas Primeau (1895 – 1916) m. Mary Burke (1896- 1917) in 1915 in LaPasse, ON. She was daughter of David Burke and Mary Brooks – she would die only two years later. Their daughter Valerie Celeste Primeau (1916-1996). 1915 Thomas & Mary Marriage.
2. Joseph Sabastian Primeau (1841 – 1904) m. in 1863 to Justine Dupuis (1850 – ) in St. Jacques L’Archigan, Que., daughter of Moise Dupuis and Louise Guilday. This is the first of two Primeau siblings marrying two Dupuis siblings. See DUPUIS entry. These were farmers along the Bromley Line.
i. Louis Francis Xavier Primeau (1870- ) m. Marguerite Jeanne Lanthier (1874- ), daughter of Totique Lanthier and Mary Jane Labine. 1891 Louis FX & Margeuerit Jeanne Marriage
3. Julien “Jules” Primeau (1847- ) m. Marie “Mary” Lauzon (1848- ), daughter of Pierre Lauzon and Marie Sweeney on May 16, 1869.
i. Julien Primeau (1873-
ii. Marguerite Louise Primeau (1875- )m. Joseph Melancon, son of Eusebe Melancon and Julie Marion on 9 May, 1893 at LaPasse.
iii. Joseph Primeau (1876-
iv. Alex Primeau (1879-
v. Melina R. Primeau m. John Pappin, son of Narcisse Pappin and Emelie St. Louis on February 27, 1906.
4. Malvina Primeau (1848 – 1891) m. Medric Earnest Dupuis ( 1847 – 1933) on 25 Aug. 1870, Gower Point (early name for LaPasse), Westmeath Parish. She was 22 and he was 25 when they married. He was born in St. Jacques L’Achicgan, Quebec, the 8th child of Moise Dupuis and Louise Labine. See DUPUIS entry. Mederic Dupuis (1847-1933) was born in an Acadian family in St. Jacques L’Achicgan, Quebec, and had move to Westmeath Township with his parents. The couple settled on the Dupuis Line as seen in the Voter List earlier in this entry, namely: E 1/2 of Lot 8 & E 1/2 of Lot 5, Concession 1 Coulonge Lake Front (CFL). They are buried at LaPasse. Following Malvina’s death Medric remarried Sophie Duquette ( 1854-1937) in 1891 and they had two children: Alcide Dupuis (1893 –) and Moise Dupuis (1894 – 1923).
The children of Malvina and Medric are:
i. Margaret Louise Dupuis (1871 –
ii. Mederic Dupuis (1872 –
iii. Adeline Dupuis (1874 –
iv. Emiline Dupuis (1877 –
v. Joseph Dupuis (1880 –
vi. Emma Christina Dupuis (1881 –
vii. Louis Dupuis (1883 – 1960)
viii. Wilfrid Aristide Dupuis (1886 –
ix. Annie Dupuis (1888 –
x. Virginia Dupuis (1889 –
xi. Louis Charles “Arthur” Primeau Dupuis (1891 – 1961) m. Edna Harney, daughter of Joseph Harney and Celina Mongrain on Sept.16, 1912.
5. Alexander Primeau (1853 –1930) m. Emilie Marion (1856- ), daughter of Norbert and Elize Marrion. 1873 Alexander & Emilie Marriage
6. Celine Primeau (1853- )
7. Marie Primeau (1855- )
8. Herminine Primeau (1857 – m. Adolphe Marion (1855 – 1897) 1881 Herminine & Adolph Marriage, son of Zephirin Marion and Marcelline Leclerc.
9. Anadine Primeau (1860-
10. (Half- sibling) Marceline Primeau (1885- ) m. Joseph Adelard Belaire ( 1881- ) in 1907. Marceline was the child of Louis Primeau (1824- ) and second wife Marie Zoe Baron (1844- ) who married in 1875. She died very young and childless and Joseph Belaire remarried in 1914.