The Elim Pentecostal Church, Westmeath, had its beginning in 1925 when Rev. Arthur Atter, pastor of the Pentecostal Church Pembroke came once a month to hold meetings in Westmeath Town Hall.
Organization took place July 21, 1925, of the Local Branch of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada. Pastor A.E. Adams was in charge and committee men appointed were Thomas O’Brien, Munroe Morrison, Robert Wright, Milburn McBride, Joseph Jackson and Arnold O’Brien, secretary. Deacons appointed were Samuel Jeffrey, Hugh Ross with Deacon’s secretary – Clemence Jackson. Sunday School Superintendent, Thomas O’Brien and assistant, Chas. Jackson; secretary – Miss Cora Jackson; pianist Miss Luella Jackson.
The former Presbyterian Church was purchased and Elim Pentecostal Church had their regular place for worship by December 22, 1925.
The old drive shed was dismantled and plans for a new enclosed building to be 45’ x 48’ with stucco exterior was built in 1929. Ten years later a parsonage was purchased from Edward O’Brien. Tent meetings were well attended during the summer months and a new tent was purchased to be used in July and August at a cost of $550.
A bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wright was utilized with the purchase of new pulpit chairs. Fogged glass windows were installed while an oil furnace and waterworks at the parsonage were added to the facilities. Re-decoration of the church became necessary in 1972, and while the renovations were being made, services were held in St. Mary’s Anglican Church.
Wall to wall carpet was laid in the sanctuary and the Young People’s group redecorated the Prayer Room, and a nursery and washrooms were added to the front of the church. Christian Stewardship was practised and the envelope system for tithing was adopted.
The parsonage was sold in 1981 to Terry Ethier with the money derived from this sale being invested in a Building Fund. The drive shed was sold to Jack Brown and Eric Brown two years later. Property in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wright was inherited in 1984, this house is on the back street behind the church and is where the pastor resides.
Pastors who served here were A. Atter, A.E. Adams, W.R. Shirley, William E. Brown, Andrew Morgan, Kenneth Stevenson, Chas. Jackson, Jack Latimer, Thomas Latto, T.A. Strong, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold O’Brien, William McDonald, Philip Houghton, Ronald Peacock, Herbert Shank, Walter Stevenson, Donald McEwan, William Kenna, Robert Taylor, Reginald Hiscock, Schuyler O’Brien and Cory Ferguson. Pianists have been Miss Luella Jackson, Lepha McBride, Mrs. W. O’Brien, Mrs. A. Morgan, Mrs. Dan McKinnon, Miss Greta O’Brien, Joan Jeffrey, Mrs. R. J. Hiscock, Mrs. Dawn Maves.
Compiled by Mrs. Carl Price, 1984 Twp. History
This Pentecostal Church building in Beachburg was first the home of the Presbyterian congregation of Beachburg and area. In 1952 the property was taken over by the Pentecostal Church.